1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

25 Most Beautiful Cars ever

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 08/15/06
12:20 AM

We know we missed one of your favorites in our beautiful cars story... tell us which one.  

JamesMcAllister JamesMcAllister
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/18/06
05:32 AM

You missed my favourite of all times, the 1957 Ford Thunderbird, presumably because you have a bias against tailfins.  Similarly, the 1957-58 Imperials were majestic, as were the 1955-56 Packards.  You missed the 1949-51 Ford, presumably because it was too mundane. You picked up on the Continental Mark II, but missed the 1956 Lincoln hardtops and convertibles.  And how about the first generation of Mustangs?
On the other hand, you included a lot of WWII era European cars with separate, swooping fenders that all look the same to me - old fashioned, e.g. Bentley Continental, Bugatti Atlantic, Jaguar 120, Alfa Romeo 2900, Talbot-Lago, Merc Roadster.  You might have limited this genre to one or two.
You also included a lot a cars that are just plain boring, e.g. Nissan 300ZX, BMW 3.0, Jaguar XJ6.  And I never found the Toronado attractive at all.  

E46driver E46driver
Posted: 08/19/06
04:19 AM

My choices for most beautiful cars would include the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso as well as the 250 California GT. Many other Ferraris could well have been listed such as the 246 Dino Spyder, but I do like the 365 GTB and the 275 GTB. I have owned the former and also driven the latter.
I also think the Porsche 911 in one of its many iterations should have been included.
The Nissan 300ZX is really quite a pedestrian design in the company of cars your editors chose and indicates the dearth of good design by the Japanese car industry which really only has the Mazda Miata as a good design example.
As for the current crop of beautiful cars, the Porsche Cayman S is a worthy contender.
Overall a great article and excellent choices.  

berlintwin berlintwin
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/19/06
11:50 AM

A great list, except for the BMW, since its styling was copied from the Corvair.  

etraider etraider
Posted: 08/20/06
01:07 AM

Come on, a Saleen S7 any Saleen S7 is better than that P.O.S that Chevy calls a sportscar.  

gorenbergh gorenbergh
Posted: 08/22/06
12:11 AM

Most of the the cars listed on your "25 Most Beautiful Cars ever" seem to always be the same for this type of article.

What might make for an intersting article is something like "Beautiul Car Design Reconsidered - Other Great Designs".  Some of the cars that I would include on this list include:

- Avanti
- Porsche 928
- Lincoln Continental Mark II
- Ford Thunderbird (1961 - 63)
- Audi 5000 (1982)
- Chevrolet Camaro (late 1970)
- Chevrolet Corvair (1965 - 1968)
- Oldsmobile Aurora (1995 - 1999)
- Buick Rivera (1995 - 2000)

I look forward to seeing other recommendation from other readers.  

dino-#001 dino-#001
Posted: 08/22/06
09:58 AM

Icon Quotesfowle:
We know we missed one of your favorites in our beautiful cars story... tell us which one.

Selecting the 25 most beautiful cars of all time is quite an undertaking and can never please everyone.  A number of Ferraris could have been listed including the 246 Dino, California Spyder, series I 250 Cab, and perhaps the 330 GTC.  In my opinion, the Daytona although an icon, is not particularly attractive. The 275 GTB/4 is every one's favorite. One does have to question your choice of the Nissan 300ZX, Studebaker Starliner, and BMW 3.0CS.  The BMW 507 and AC Ace would have been confortable on your list.

Thanks-  

Hondadriver Hondadriver
Posted: 08/23/06
12:14 AM

The piece was largely spot-on, but four of the selections left me scratching my head. The Jaguar XJ6? The BMW 3.0? The Cadillac 60 Special? The Nissan 300ZX?

None of these comes close to being a design masterpiece. They range from nice (the Nissan) to huh? (the Cadillac).

Both manufacturers have created far-better looking vehicles: The current 350Z and practically any thirties-era Cadillac illustrates my point. Ditto for BMW and the well-represented Jaguar.

I'm astounded that not a single Duesenberg, Packard, Porsche or Pierce-Arrow (ironically featured in the same issue) made the cut. They're almost uniformly gorgeous.

And to represent Japan, where's the nineties-era Mazda RX-7?

Ah, but beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?  

capthensen capthensen
Posted: 08/24/06
03:27 PM

The 25 MOST beautiful cars EVER? Remove the stylistically boring BMW, Lotus Elite, and Nissan 300ZX (which if driven today wuld not get a second look from almost anyone) and replace with any 3 from the list below (any of which still stop people in their tracks today);

Thunderbird (55-57)
Corvette (53)
Lotus Elan Roadster (67-73)
Lotus Europa (67-73)
Jaguar XJ-S HE (81-90)
DeLorean (81-83)
Acura NSX-T (95)
Triumph Stag (70-77)
Auburn Boattail Speedster (28-35?)
DeTomaso Pantera (71-75)
BMW M1 (78-81)
Maserati Bora (71-80)
DeTomaso Mangusta (67-70)

Park any one of these 13 overlooked in your list in a Wal*Mart parking lot and watch the passer-bys. Case closed.  

charlie bornemann charlie bornemann
Posted: 08/25/06
01:01 AM

Icon Quotesfowle:

I was surprised and disappointed that the 1953 Buick Skylark was not included in your article. Also, any 356 Porsche could replace the BMW or the Lotus in the looks department.

Please give us information regarding the GM/Nissan talks. Sounds like a strange idea to ***

Sincerely, Charlie Bornemann
               Orlando, FL  

GrannyP GrannyP
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/25/06
03:29 PM

That anyone could want to add a Buick Skylark and kick out the lovely BMW 3.0CSi tells me all I need to know about beauty in the eyes of the beholder.  I think you did a great job.  Sure, I don't agree with some, particularly since you titled it most beautiful, rather than most significant.  I'd leave out the Cadillac, Olds, and Buick.  I was very pleased at the inclusion of the oft-overlooked Nisaan 300ZX, probably the only Japanese car that ever caught my attention as a design statement.

I agree with the inclusion of the Studebaker Starliner and, ironically, had just seen one pass on the street about half an hour before I found your mag on the newstand.

I agree with the inclusion of the Jag XJ saloon but strongly feel that its best example was the XJ12C 2-door pillarless hardtop but only in the rare painted-steel roof version (vinyl roof on a Jag?  What WERE they thinking!?).  I once saw one that was black with tan leather, blackwall tires, and the stock chromed wheels.  I stood and drooled over it for quite a while.

Similar to your thinking about the significance (with which I agree) of the XJ6, I'd add the NSU Ro80, which gave us the wonderful Audi 100/5000/A6-8 legacy (now spoilt).

Others for my list:
Range Rover (original 2-door)
Jaguar SS-100
Alfa Romeo 6C1750
Ferarri Berlinetta Lusso (replacing the Daytona)
De Tomaso Mangusta
BMW 507 (even better than the lovely 3.0CSi)
Deusenberg SJ dual-cowl torpedo phaeton
Porsche 550 Spider  

bigwhitecaddy bigwhitecaddy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 08/28/06
12:49 AM

The Olds Toronado? Really?! I love '60s GM stuff, but that car would be way down my list for beauties of that era. Sure, the Riviera deserves it, but not the Olds. One car I would have liked to see on the list was the '53 Buick Skylark Roadmaster. I think its the quintessential '50s american convertible.  

rubylola rubylola
Posted: 08/29/06
05:17 AM

Icon Quotesfowle:

How could you have missed the 1951 Studebaker by Raymond Loewy, the 1972 Fiat 124 Spyder by Pininfarina, as well as his 250GT Lusso, Dino 246GT, all the 250 California spyders, the 308GTB (in white, like mine with a black interior and red piping? How about the Datsun 240Z--the Nissan 300ZX is downright ugly! The Toronado?--and not the 1955 Chevrolet? The original Lamborghini Countach?

Beauty is not just in the eye of the beholder. We can all agree on Angelina Jolie.  

Ted Lechner Ted Lechner
Posted: 08/30/06
03:40 AM

Icon Quotesfowle:

Despite the intensely subjective nature of the exercise, I would be willing to bet most readers will agree with more than half the choices on your 25 most beautiful cars list.  If I'm right, it may say more about human nature than it says about your list.  Still, a well-considered list should have wide appeal even considering the thousands of cars to choose from.  My list, and I don't think I could come up with 25 without resorting to sentiment rather than aesthetics, would have included the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT, and I confess to turning the last couple of pages of the article fully expecting to see it, perhaps the 1750 in dark green, or maybe the less dated 2000 GTV.  Alas, it was not to be.  

If, in making my list, I had to start with yours -- an acceptable prospect from my perspective -- I would have no trouble making room for the prettiest Alfa of my lifetime.  I think you should run a contest, a readers' choice for which car on your list should be sacrificed for the Alfa.  No other choices.  No write-ins.  Leave the list as published or replace one entry with the Alfa coupe.  What would your choice be?  

BioDog BioDog
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/31/06
08:35 AM

Icon Quotesfowle:

The 1953 Ford Anglia comes to mind, and also the 1965 Sunbeam Tiger and of course the mid 1960s Austin Healey 3000 series.

The most glaringly off kilter choices you made would have to be the monumentally fuddy duddy Cadillac 60 Special. Do I detect the hand of that former GM clay-pusher Cumberford at work here?

And by what metric could one possibly choose the blandly generic looking Nisan 300ZX over its spunky progenitor the 240Z?

Come on guys I'll even give you Beemer's 'Vair knockoff, but spare me the luxo-coffin Caddy and oh so forgetable ZX.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice