Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Modern beautiful cars

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 08/15/06
12:26 AM

We divided our beautiful cars section into historical and modern sections. Our modern list (only cars you can still buy new today) included the Aston Martin DB9, the Ferrari F430, the Maserati Quattroporte, the Pontiac Solstice, the Bentley Continental GT, and the Mercedes-Benz CLS. What would be on your list? Some of us at Automobile, for example, would have picked the Saturn Sky over the Solstice or the V8 Vantage over the DB9. What about you? What defines modern automotive beauty?  

GreyGhost GreyGhost
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 12/06
02:13 AM

You missed the new Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. Delete the Solstice, replace it with the Alfa...  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
03:17 AM

While the 8C Competizione is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful machines around, our list of modern cars was limited to models sold in the U.S.  

cjs1985 cjs1985
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/17/06
08:29 PM

Two cars that do not belong on the list; the Nissan 300ZX. The 300ZX is a clean design, but far from beautiful. Also, I wouldn't consider the Lincoln Continental beautiful. Significant...yes; beautiful...no. I would add the Nissan 240Z, the Toyota 2000GT, the TVR Cerbera and Tuscan, and the Panoz Esperante. All of your other selections were right on.

Also, regarding the outrageous fins on the '59 Caddy; I always thought that this car would look great with those fins shaved off. It would be long and low and would just oozed down the boulevard.  

berlintwin berlintwin
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/19/06
12:04 PM

I have stopped at the local Ferrari-Maserati-Bentley dealer several times and can't warm up to the Maserati Quattroporte.  Its styling seems awkward.  Next to the Bentley Coupe the Maserati looks like a brick. I am guessing that the Maserati will sell in miniscule numbers and suffer a truly frightening rate of depreciation.  A stroll through mid-town Manhattan around five in the evening, when the chauffered limousines are waiting for their charges, leaves no doubt that the Mercedes S Class, usually equipped with Fourmatic for those two days out of the year when snow is actually discernible on the Long Island Expresssway, is still king of the luxo sedan market.  

BioDog BioDog
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/31/06
08:41 AM

I concur on the Sky, the Solstice seems somehow the more portly Larry Mondello of the marque.

How is it possible that the latest iteration of mazda's RX missed the cut? With bodywork to rival Jessica Alba's it simply begs to be caressed.

As for defining modern automotive beauty, clean lines, minimal extraneous brightwork, and hints of classic British and Italian design can never be out of style.  

carnut0913 carnut0913
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 09/14/06
11:37 AM

Modern (read available) to the US.  you have 6 listed.  I would go with:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage (British Representation)  yes, it seems more intense/better than the Db9.

Porsche Carrerra GT (German representation) just lovely.

Mercedes SLK55 (German again) just a nice delivery, better lines than Z4 and boxster.

Mazda 6s 5-door.  (Japanese) clean execution, nothing seems extraneous or out of sorts.

Chrysler 300M  (American) I think in 50 years, it will still be a classic design along the lines of the 57 chevy and the 40s Ford...

Honda S2000 vs Pontiac Solstice (Japanese, American)  I cant decide between these two as the best design representation.  I think the Solstice will age better than the Sky, thus my keeping with the Solstice.  The S2000 again is a very clean execution.  

carnut0913 carnut0913
11:42 AM

and yes, no italians.  I'm still in love with te 360Modena  and 575 Maranello.  I am starting to like the 430 but think from a purely design perspective the air intakes look extraneous rather than integrated.  the 612 is just not up to snuff.

as for the RX-8, a good execution but the wheelwells do not flow, they are too disruptive.  A good distinguishing characteristic but...  

carnut0913 carnut0913
11:57 AM

oops.  the 300C (SRT-8), not the retired 300M  

davep davep
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/26/06
04:58 AM

I can't believe you included the Maserati Quattroporte among your "Modern Masterworks."  It looks like a tired old Buick.  And there's nothing really pretty about the Bentley Continental GT.  It's brutish.  The front end looks like that of a truck.
How could you overlook Porsche (even though the basic design is old)?  

alfa1900gtdriver alfa1900gtdriver
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/29/06
02:28 AM

As to the six contemporary cars, I believe that the new Jaguar XK8 is still beautiful, though perhaps a notch down from its predecessor.  It can replace the Solstice.  

Lauren the Ghoti Lauren the Ghoti
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/07/06
10:44 AM

For me, the CLS puts every other M-B in history - including the Gullwing - on the trailer.  

Henry T Henry T
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/19/06
08:02 AM

If we're just talking about looks, I'd replace the Aston Martin with the Jaguar XKR - very similar but the Jaguar is just a little sleeker.  As far as the Solstice goes, I have to say, as the owner of one, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Basically, the car itself is crap.  It's just mediocre to drive.  The top sucks.  And the quality in general is questionable.  But everytime I walk up to it, all is forgiven.  She's just beautiful.  Far less "gimmicky" than the Sky (although I have to say I prefer the rear end of the Sky).  

AH100Guy AH100Guy
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/25/06
06:44 AM

I would add the Porsche Cayman to the list, the new Alfa is poetry in motion as well, I don't caremuch for the new Mercedes, modern sedan design does not do much for me, the Germans, Audi, VW came up with the slab sided, turret top look, they do it OK, the Japanese followed suit and came up with some truly ugly designs, such as the new accord and Nissan Maxima.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice