Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2008 smart fortwo

| 
hobbes hobbes
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/03/06
02:56 PM

I will buy this car when it is available in USA. I have been in them in Europe and in Canada. My partner and I (both 6'4") fit in nicely. I believe they have safety features built in, and would feel confident in them. Most of my driving is solo, with minimal luggage, and I think that a car with no more than you need is a refreshing concept. (How often are SUV owners driving off road, towing boats, hauling 4x8 sheets, etc? that you could rent or borrow a vehicle for those tasks and use this kind of car for commuting, daily driving)
I live in North Dakota.  

hesel hesel
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/04/06
04:39 AM

OK - let's focus on the, uhh, cute video. Nicely done but did your tester imply the engine is up front when he said a collision would cause the motor to slide under the occupant's legs? Only if it was rear-ended would that happen folks - the motor, an 800cc 3 cyl turbo charged diesel in Canada, is in back. Yes, it's only 40 hp, but has 74 lb ft of torque. As to actual mileage, 65 mpg imperial in town, about 85 on the highway (some claim 100!!). My brother has one that performs well (0-100 kph in 14 seconds)& meets the fuel economy targets mentioned. They are a little odd to drive at first, mostly because of the slow shifting tranny but not bad once you get used to it. A great in-town car & quite safe based on collision testing. I would have one as a second car for town use/commuting only.  

shiftfocus shiftfocus
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/13/06
03:45 AM

Hobbes, being in North Dakota, you should be warned of one of the pranks developed around the Smart here in Canada: Smart tipping.  From what I understand, it will result in a couple-grand worth of body damage.  But bravo to you for supporting them.  I see LOTS of them on the roads here, and with our gas and diesel already over US$4/gal I expect to see more.  

jdcadillac jdcadillac
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/16/06
01:42 AM

This car will not fly in Texas, and certainly not on the freeways of LA.  It might make sense for urban centers like the NY metro area. But, it would have to be banned on the freeways, much like Kei cars are restricted in Japan.  The poor Truckers would be blamed for leaving a wake of crushed Smartcars behind them 'cause the things would be sucked under their trailers if the Smartcar jockeys tried to pass an eighteen wheeler.  The trcukdriver would never even know it happened.  

jdcadillac jdcadillac
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/16/06
01:45 AM

The wife said, "Oh, it's cute.  We could replace the golf cart that we use to run out to the highway to get the mail".  

dhoosee dhoosee
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/17/06
01:26 PM

I live outside of Chicago & would consider one for commuting to and from work.  However, as always, any time a manufacturer brings a car to the States, they have to ruin it.  The Smarts that I saw on a recent trip to Canada were all diesel (which sounds like it wont make it here...the fuel economy would be too good for that) and had a funky, edge in their design; especially in the interior which is to be "bored-down" for the lower 48 ("instead of the current car's funky wave-shaped dashboard.....the new instrument panel is arrow-straight and devoid of towering air vents and wild color combinations").  I also understand from the article in this month's issue, ("ForTwo, take two", page 24) that the car will be lengthened for the US by 8" (not too bad), but that they were bumping up the horsepower by 18 from 50-68, and will probably offer a 100hp turbo version ?!?! Fuel economy should "remain about the same" at 50mpg.  Wait...what happened to the 70+ mpg with the Canadian turbo diesel?  In America's thirst for horsepower, they'll be defeating the entire purpose of the Smart;  that is a commuter car that gets superior fuel economy.  This is NOT meant to be a Porsche nor is it meant to compete with one.  

Yes, I do want a car that can get out of it's own way, but it doesnt have to do smokey burnouts to prove anything.  Just get me to work & back without having to tank up every other day, do it with a little fun attached, and I'll purchase the Smart. Knock the fuel economy down to 50 or less mpg and take the fun out of the design of the first generation Smart, and I'll wait for the Toyota plug-in hybrid, or buy a Honda Civic.  Keep the Smart a funky-cool oil-burner, and I'll buy!  

sgraham0880 sgraham0880
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/18/06
06:31 AM

I would be willing to put a $2500 deposit on a ForTwo today. As soon as United Auto Group is prepared I will become a buyer.

Hurrah for the car we really need. BTW, I will not sell my full size pickup, I just won;'t drive it nearly as much. And I will advertise my business on the exterior of the Smart.

Scott in Mpls, MN  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Honda Civic
18290 - 24590
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Coupe, Sedan