Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Re: New 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

| 
think think
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/30/06
12:21 AM

Hi...I've just gone for a test drive in the new 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid car. fully loaded with navigational system, sunroof, leather seats, etc.  I've never had a hybrid, but have previously owned a Toyota Camry and have loved it.  This hybrid is very expensive, seems to ride well,but pretty comfortable and impressive for someone who doesn't know cars that much.  Has anyone had any experience or knows anyone who has bought this car? Is it worth the money you need to pay? I've read up about the small trunk space, and it doesn't seem to have the good mileage the Prius does.
  Thanks!
  Ms. TL  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 07/31/06
04:04 AM

I just spent a weekend in Chicago with a new Camry Hybrid. It is, overall, a nice car--comfortable, spacious, easy to drive--but I thought it had a number of flaws as well. The continuously variable transmission definitely takes some getting used to. It's strange to never hear a shift. It is also a bit jittery on highways, reacting poorly to crosswinds and uneven road surfaces. As you mentioned, you also lose a whole of of trunk space due to the batteries. If you're taking a family of four or five on a road trip, it will definitely be an incredibly tight squeeze. I'm a slightly aggressive driver, but that is no excuse for the 19.5 mpg I averaged in city conditions, staying with the flow of traffic. I thought city was supposed to be higher than highway mileage, but I got about 33 mpg on highways. 13.5 mpg MORE than the city! Navigation worked very well but some of the buttons are confusing. I don't see any reason to buy one instead of the regular I-4 Camry. The money, weight, and trunk space sacrifices don't seem like enough to trade for just a few mpgs. I'm interested to see how our long-term test car does through the year. We'll report more on it soon, and check the print issue in the coming months as well.  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 07/31/06
04:07 AM

Hmm, that's odd. I just reported 19.5 mpg city and 33 mpg highway, based on the on-board computer in the Camry Hybrid, but when I did the math based on actual fill-ups, it appears that I averaged a combined 38 mpg for about 1/4 city, 3/4 highway. Makes no sense at all to me, and I obviously have to believe this actual number instead of what the computer says. Lesson learned today: always double check anything the car's computer tells me. 38 mpg is MUCH more impressive, but I'd still buy a regular, cheaper I-4.  

sftonmeister sftonmeister
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/24/06
08:54 PM

I've had the car since July, and average 36-38mpg. The extra cost will be balanced out by the federal rebate. I'm very satisfied, except for the sound system. Too much bass. Even with the tone controls set at -5 for bass, the door panels and dash rattle with low notes and men's announcer voices, especially on KQED (NPR). For a full sized car, the mileage is quite good and can't be compared with the much smaller Prius.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Toyota Camry
22970 - 31370
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan